Launch of the ALBA Network to foster diversity and equality in brain sciences
04 July 2019
04 July, 2019 in FENS News
FENS is proud to be the partner of the ALBA Network, a new initiative which aims to promote equality and diversity in brain sciences.
A launch event at the FRM
The launch of the ALBA Network will take place on Thursday 11 July 2019, as part of the FENS Regional Meeting in Belgrade, Serbia.
The programme of the event will be the following:
13:10 – 13:40: “Is gender diversity science friction?” by Mara Dierssen (President of Trisomy 21 Research Society, CRG-Center for Genomic Regulation, Spain)
13:40 – 14:00: “Introduction to the ALBA Network” by Carmen Sandi (Chair of the ALBA Steering Committee)
This event will feature Prof. Mara Dierssen (President of Trisomy 21 Research Society, CRG-Center for Genomic Regulation) and Prof. Carmen Sandi (Chair of the ALBA Steering Committee and FENS President). More information can be found on the ALBA Network website.
The ALBA Network
Recently founded by a group of leading scientists, the goals of the ALBA Network are to:
- Promote best practices to counteract bias
- Recognise outstanding contributions to science and diversity
- Provide networking and mentoring opportunities to promote careers for members of underrepresented groups.
These goals will be achieved through:
- Establishing a Declaration of Best Practices
- Curating a centralized resource of available data on bias, underrepresentation, and effective strategies
- Hosting networking events at major Brain Science conferences
- Establishing awards (e.g. Women in Brain Science/ Diversity Award) with partner sponsors
- Highlighting success stories of individuals and organizations to create role models
- Advocacy with policy makers, funding agencies, institutions
- Creating a mentoring community
- Collecting a database of scientists as a resource for speaker invitations, award nominations
To become a member of the ALBA Network or for further information, please visit the ALBA Network website.