Job ID: 99466
PhD student position at University of Zurich
Position: Ph.D. Student
Deadline: 1 March 2023
Employment Start Date: 1 April 2023
Institution: University of Zurich
The Institute for Regenerative Medicine, University of Zurich seeks for a highly motivated PhD student to develop ‘Multiscale imaging of alpha-synuclein and neurodegeneration’.
Project description: Our team is devoted to developing imaging-based biomarkers with translational value for neurodegenerative diseases such as Alzheimer’s disease, tauopathy and Parkinson’s disease as well as development of new treatment strategies. This project is supported by the Demenz Forschung Schweiz – Stiftung Synapsis and includes partners from Inselspital Bern and ETH Zurich. Alpha-Synucleinopathy, including Parkinson’s disease, dementia with Lewy bodies, and multiple system atrophy, affects more than 10 million people worldwide and represents an unmet clinical need. There is currently a gap in imaging the toxin protein aggregate a-synuclein inclusion in the brain of Parkinson patients. The goal of this project is to develop a novel positron emission tomography tracer to noninvasively detect brain alpha-synuclein. The proposed project will thus add new knowledge on the link between alpha-synuclein accumulation in the brain and neurodegeneration and open new avenues for mechanistic studies and treatment monitoring, with high translational potential applications foreseen.
- In vivo & in vitro experiment: Multiscale imaging of alpha-synuclein and neurodegeneration
- Data processing and analysis
- ZNZ neuroscience PhD programme
- Excellent neuroscience and biological education
- Prior expertise in imaging methods (experience with in vivo MRI, PET) is a plus
- LTK 1 or FELASA B is a plus
- Education in Pharmacology, PDPK, Medicinal chemistry is a plus
- Strong interest in neuroscience
- Excellent command of English
- Self-motivation, goal-oriented, team-working and positive attitude
- 3-4 years PhD position, excellent ZNZ neuroscience programme
- Working in a world top research institution with international, multidisciplinary, highly innovative colleagues, and state-of-the-art environment.
In line with our values, University of Zurich encourages an inclusive culture. We promote equality of opportunity, value diversity and nurture a working and learning environment in which the rights and dignity of all our staff and students are respected. We particularly encourage applications from female and underrepresented minorities.
We look forward to receiving your application.