Job ID: 95391
Post-doc in Neuroscience
Position: Post-doctoral Position
Deadline: 13 February 2023
Contract Length: 2 years, renewable
Institution: ISTITUTO ITALIANO DI TECNOLOGIA
Department: Lifetech - Neuroscience - Synaptic Plasticity of Inhibitory Networks
WHO WE ARE
At IIT, we work enthusiastically to develop human-centered Science and Technology to tackle some of the most pressing societal challenges of our times and transfer these technologies to the production system and society. Our Genoa headquarter is strictly inter-connected with our 11 centres around Italy and two outer-stations based in the US for a truly interdisciplinary experience.
You’d be working in a multicultural and multi-disciplinary group, where experts in neurophysiology, biophysics, and biotechnology collaborate, each with their own expertise, to carry out common research.
The Synaptic Plasticity of Inhibitory Networks (SPIN) Research line is coordinated by Dr. Andrea Barberis, who has extensive experience in excitatory and inhibitory synaptic plasticity and in the organization of synaptic elements.
The research focuses on the role of functional interactions between dendritic excitatory and inhibitory synapses and dendritic synaptic clustering in shaping network activity in a behaviorally relevant context.
Within the team, your main responsibilities will be:
- Study the contribution of different interneuron subtypes in gating aversive information between basolateral amygdala and hippocampus
WHAT WOULD MAKE YOU SHINE
- A PhD in Neuroscience and similar disciplines
- Experience with stereotaxic viral injections
- Documented experience in neurophysiology, including electrophysiology, opto-genetics, viral approaches, and procedures
- A strong publication record
- The ability to properly report, organize, and publish research data
- Documented experience in coaching junior scientists
- Fluent spoken and written English
- Experience in in-vivo calcium imaging,
- Knowledge of MatLab and/or Python software
- Good communication skills
- Strong problem-solving attitude
- High motivation to learn
- Spirit of innovation and creativity
- Good in time and priority management
- Ability to work in a challenging and international environment
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively in a highly interdisciplinary environment
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
- Competitive salary package for international standards
- Private health care coverage
- Wide range of staff discounts
WHAT’S IN FOR YOU?
- An equal, inclusive and multicultural environment ready to welcome you with open arms. Discrimination is a big NO for us!
- We like contamination and encourage you to mingle and discover what other people are up to in our labs!
- If paperwork is not your piece of cake, we got you! There’s a specialized team working to help you with that, especially during your relocation!
- If you are a startupper or a business-minded person, you will find some exceptionally gifted professionals ready to nurture and guide your attitude and aspirations.
- If you want your work to have a real impact, in IIT you will find an innovative and stimulating culture that drives our mission to contribute to the improvement and well-being of society!
- We stick to our values! Integrity, courage, societal responsibility and inclusivity are the values we believe in! They define us and our actions in our everyday life. They guide us to accomplish IIT mission!
If you feel this tickles your appetite for change, do not hesitate and apply!
Please submit your application using the online form and including a detailed CV, cover letter (outlining motivation, experience and qualifications) and contact details of 2 references.