Job ID: 5363
Grants & Outreach Manager in Brussels/Belgium
Position: Grants and outreach manager
Deadline: 31 August 2021
Institution: ALBA Network
Launched in 2019, the ALBA Network aims to promote equity and diversity in brain sciences. Its goal is to establish a global network in order to share best practices and provide better visibility, networking and mentoring opportunities to scientists from underrepresented groups in brain research. Among many other activities, ALBA holds awards and networking events at major conferences and manages a platform to disseminate data, best practices, success stories and effective strategies countering bias and discrimination. ALBA is currently supported in its mission by the Federation of European Neuroscience Societies (FENS), the International Brain Research Organisation (IBRO) and the Society for Neuroscience (SfN). For more information, see www.alba.network
ALBA is looking for a Grants & Outreach Manager to expand the ALBA office. This position is a unique opportunity to contribute and make brain research more diverse and inclusive.
In close collaboration with the Project & Network Manager, the Grants & Outreach Manager will contribute to the continued growth and global establishment of the ALBA Network by dealing with the network’s outreach, as well as maintaining a close relationship with current partners, developing new partnerships and supporting the network’s efforts to attract funding.
The selected candidate will mainly be in charge of:
• Developing relationships with key stakeholders (establishing contacts, meetings, reports, etc.).
• Developing new partnerships and funding agreements.
• Applying and managing grant programmes.
• Increasing ALBA’s visibility in the international research scene.
• Advising the ALBA Board of Directors on strategic objectives and implementing their decisions.
• Proactively responding to challenges and identifying opportunities for new partnerships or projects.
• Supporting ALBA task forces (e.g., data collection on diversity in brain research; developing a mentoring programme).
• Managing budgets (budget preparation, analysis, decision-making and reporting).
• Contributing to communication activities (social media, website, press releases, text editing, etc.).
• Providing administrative support when needed.
Profile & qualifications
• Strong verbal and written communication skills, including writing grant proposals and reports – Excellent written and oral English is required.
• Scientific background: minimum MS; ideally PhD or MD is required – Background on brain sciences would be an asset.
• Familiarity with and passion for issues and policies related to EDI (Equity, Diversity and Inclusion).
• Experience with fundraising and partnership development would be an asset.
• Organised, able to work independently as well as in a team.
• Experience in project/network management would be an asset.
• Experience with external communication (social media, website, press releases, etc.) would be an asset.
• Well-developed computer skills, including excellent knowledge of Microsoft suite.
• Able to work in Europe; availability to work in Brussels would be an asset.
What we offer
We offer a 2-year contract for an either 50 or 100% position (percentage negotiable). The contract is renewable with the possibility of becoming permanent.
Ideally the candidate will be based in the Federation of European Neuroscience Societies (FENS) office in Brussels – that is hosting the ALBA Office.
The compensation will be discussed according to the qualifications of the selected candidate.
The position offers a degree of independence with some required travel and flexibility in terms of working days/hours in connection with events or meetings.
The ALBA Office is working in a nice, inclusive and supportive atmosphere in close collaboration with the ALBA Leadership, composed of volunteer scientists from all over the world who care about making brain research more diverse and equal. We also offer the possibility to get training in relevant areas.
ALBA is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, colour, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability or age.
Starting date: Flexible, ideally on April 2021.
Please send your cover letter and CV to the attention of Prof Carmen Sandi, Chair of the ALBA Network: firstname.lastname@example.org, with email@example.com in copy, and indicate: ‘ALBA Grants & Outreach Manager’ in the subject line of your email.
Deadline for applications: We will start reviewing the applications from 22 February 2021, but we will continue accepting applications until the position is filled.